Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Beginning Blogger

This is uncharted territory for me, but I desperately need an outlet to document and share my new hobby - being frugal! It began in January when my husband and I enrolled in Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and I think my interest grows as the days go by. My frugal efforts began by researching couponing extensively in an attempt to learn to save a little extra money each month. I've saved more than $1000 in the 4 months that I've done that and had so much fun with it that I held a class on couponing at our church to share it with others.


A couple of months into couponing, in an effort to sharpen my skills, I started reading various blogs like A Thirfty Mom (http://athriftymom.com/) and Saving and Giving (http://savingandgiving.blogspot.com/). These give great tips about couponing and where to find the best deals and sales, and I've saved a hundred dollars or more by using the information on their website in my shopping expeditions.


In addition to that, I subscribe to a daily email from a blog called "The Simple Dollar" (www.thesimpledollar.com) that is focused on personal finance. He discusses a wide variety of topics and what I read in those emails encourages me to think about frugality and how I can do more and more.


So, that's where I am. I'm trying to learn to be frugal, not only at the grocery store, but throughout all that I do. It has become much less about saving money, but rather more about how I can get by on less. It's become a game, and I'm VERY competitive.


Let the game begin!

4 comments:

  1. I have marked it as a favorite and look forward to your money saving exploits... It looks like the game is on....Go Girl!

    Chris @ KDE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your MIL sent me this link and I warn you, blogging can be addictive! It is a great outlet for me, though. Check out MY blog at http://frompollyspen.blogspot.com/ You are there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you....a new blogger....I will add you to my bloglines...how cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new blog site!! I'm excited to see what you post here. I've found that blogging is a great outlet. It lets you share your great deals, find, and tips with people other than your friends and family. My husband truly appreciates other people listening to my deal details. :) He does still support (and appreciate!) my efforts, but I love being able to blog the nitty gritty details with others. So have a ball with your blog site!

    ReplyDelete