Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Reduce the fat content of hamburger meat

To aide in my efforts to become frugal, I'm reading a book by Jonni McCoy called Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy. I was turned on to this book after it was referenced in one of my favorite blogs - http://www.thesimpledollar.com/.

I've recently been buying the cheaper hamburger meat at Kroger because it's the cheap hamburger meat that is on sale, though I've felt a little guilty about the increased fat content of the meat. She writes, "Some people are concerned about the fat content of the cheaper hamburger. To tackle the fat, cook the beef, then rinse it with hot water. This gets the same results as buying expensive lean ground beef...and will cost you less."

2 comments:

  1. OK.. I made it official and now am following your 'cheap' exploits through my AIM email account, 'TheThack'. Interesting about the hamburger... looks like if you cooked the beef and rinse it with hot water you would get rid of the fat but you would have less meat. Would it not be just as cheap to buy leaner depending on the price I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the fat cooks off, but if you don't rinse it, you end up eating the fat rather than letting the fat go down the drain. So you don't really have less meat, just less fat. Fat doesn't weigh much, so it doesn't make a huge difference in the meat content when you buy a pound of 90/10 vs. 70/30, though there is a very big difference in price.

    ReplyDelete